Why I have this book: I was reading some "clean reading" type sites and this book was mentioned more than once. I put it on my wish list on Amazon, then stumbled on it when I was browsing the state ebook library. I borrowed it. :)
I wasn't sure I would love this book at first. I was probably 1/5 through it before I became totally hooked, but I ended up liking it a great deal! I'm going to leave it on my wish list and probably will buy it at some point so my kids can read it. It's written for the adolescent crowd and up, and it is very clean... no swearing, no suggestive comments.
It ended with questions unanswered, but in a way that worked out for me. I could imagine things turning out the way I want them to. :)
My only complaints are these: The dad uses the word "freaking" a lot when he is spouting off in anger. This story is set in the late 1960's... did people use the word "freaking" back then? I know it's super common now, but it wasn't when I was in high school or even in the early years of marriage. But maybe I was just sheltered. haha...
Also, at one point in the story, a character confesses to a significant criminal activity, but there is no explanation of what happens to him. Was he charged? Did he have to pay society for his crime? Was all forgiven, even by the authorities and the victims? (Seems unlikely and unrealistic.) Not sure what to think about that, and I admit it disappoints me that the author didn't follow through on it. It takes the writing down a very small notch, in my opinion. There was also another situation that made me think, "What? Why would...?" If I met the author, I would ask him to explain these things to me, just to satisfy my questioning mind.
BUT... I thought the thread running through the book about Audubon's book, The Birds of America, was brilliant. When I buy this book for real, I'll buy it as a printed book so I can refer back to each painting (which is featured at the beginning of each chapter) as its story unfolds. (Flipping back to the page with the painting is not easy on a Kindle.) So fascinating how the author used those paintings in the story. I loved it.
Definitely a keeper if it was on my shelf. I also think it would make a good book club book.
Clean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment