Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Noticer (Andy Andrews)

Why I have this book: My friend gifted it to me on my Kindle. I bet you wish you had a friend gifting you books all the time, too.  :)

Would this book be considered an allegory? I don't know. That was my first thought as I was a few chapters into it.

Books that are like this... where the author suggests this really happened to him (he plays himself, his wife in the book is the same as his wife in real life, etc.)... confuse me. How much is true and how much is made up? I don't know.

I do know that I enjoyed this book a lot. Great little insights and words of wisdom. Some I had heard before (like the similarity to The Five Love Languages in one chapter and some of the concepts in other chapters that I've heard here and there), but some chapters had thoughts that were new and meaningful to me with experiences in my own life. Maybe "new" is the wrong word. Maybe just hearing it now when I need it makes if feel "new" again, even if it's something I already know.

I didn't realize the author is an "internationally known speaker" and a bestselling author. I had never heard of him before. I looked him up online so I could find out if his name is really Andy Andrews. I didn't find the answer, btw. Did his parents name him Andrew Andrews? Andy Andrews? Or is it his "professional" name? I guess I could have researched more, but I got sidetracked in the book itself. That's a good thing, right?

I had heard of one of his books - How Do You Kill 11 Million People? I don't know much about it other than hearing talk of it on a couple of radio or tv shows.

I would read other books by Andy Andrews. I would recommend this book to others.

Clean. There is one scene where there is a discussion about marriage and one teenager suggests that you know you want to get married because you want to "do it" with the other person.


1 comment:

  1. I think allegory is a good word for it... Kinda strange though. I kept expecting that there would be an explanation or something. Btw, I don't really have to wish for a book gifting friend. :)

    ReplyDelete