Why I have this book: I bought it years ago after reading a review of how awesome the illustrations are.
I agree... the book contains bright and colorful illustrations. Having said that, last night I pulled it out to read to my two younguns, and was reminded of something important: For the most part, I don't really like nursery rhymes.
I mean, there are the few that we all know and love... Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. Hickory, Dickory, Dock. Mary Had a Little Lamb. Etc.
Some are downright stupid. (There Was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe.) She didn't know what to do, so she won't let her kids eat dinner, spanks them, and sends them to bed? (My son said, "That is not very nice!")
Some make no sense because here in America, we just don't relate to the words of the rhyme... we don't use the same terminology as our British friends. Sometimes the rhymes don't even rhyme because we don't pronounce things the same way.
So, all-in-all... even though the illustrations are fun, this book isn't one that I need to keep around. I'm donating it to the library.
Clean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment