Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Rainwater (Sandra Brown)

Why I have this book: It's the first half of a Reader's Digest condensed book.

I did like this book. The story has some hard topics in it... racism, poverty, murder, etc. It's a touching story, but not necessarily a happy one. There are definitely life lessons to be learned from it, and there is a certain "peace" about it... but it's not what I would call a light, happy read.

There is one blaring contradiction in the book... so much so that I went back in the pages to see if I misread what it said. Sometimes I think I should have been a book editor. I tend to catch the misspellings and typos and there was even one book where a character's name completely changed by mistake. Anyway...

I would read it again, so it would be a keeper if it was the real thing. Since it's part of a condensed version, I will send it on to my Grandma when I finish the second novel in the book.

As mentioned, there are some hard topics in this book... some are even a bit disturbing. There are one or two swear words (used by the "bad guy") that I recall, some implied sex between two unmarried adults, and an attempted rape. This book is an edited, condensed version, so I can't say what else might be in the full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment