The Shunning
The Confession
The Reckoning
Why I have these books: They are on my Kindle. I downloaded them to take to Korea when we went to bring our daughter home. (I hadn't reviewed them yet, even though I read them over a year and a half ago.)
Imagine my surprise as I was reading the first book (on the airplane to Korea) to discover that there was an adoption theme. Hadn't planned that at all... and it turned out to be a disappointment. I didn't really like the way the author handled the subject... the protagonist had been adopted and when she finds out this fact (as a young adult), she wants to find her "real" mother. Now, I have no problem with one searching for, meeting, and developing a relationship with one's birth mother... but the term "real" mom is really ridiculous. What would her adoptive mother be then? The "fake" mother? The author uses the term many times during the books.
Anyway, don't get me started. I haven't read any books of hers since. I guess I should give her another chance, but with so many other books out there, I haven't felt the need. If you love her books, tell me the title of her best one and I'll read it.
PS. I just looked up on my adoption blog where I wrote my feelings about this book series not too long after I read them, when the feelings were still fresh. There were so many more offensive things pertaining to adoption in that reveiw than I remembered. I won't go into details... but just reading it made me all annoyed again.
Clean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment