Thursday, August 4, 2011
The Ladies Auxiliary (Tova Mirvis)
Why I have this book: It was a book club book from years ago.
I love this book. Just love it. This is the author's first novel and it became a national bestseller. She did an amazing job at character development... every character has a story, and you learn a bit about each one, enough to feel like you "know" them, but also would love to know more. They each have depth, even though there are a lot of them and the story can't focus too much on each one.
The story is about a small, Jewish community in Memphis, Tennessee, which happens to be the author's hometown. I also live in a small religious community (not Jewish), and I had more than one chuckle about how a community like that can be. There are so many emotions that run through this story that I can't even begin to describe them.
This book is a definite keeper.
The name of Lord is used several times in conversation as an expression of emotion. I recall one other swear word. Sexuality is talked about here and there (the women have ritual bathing to prepare to resume relations with their husbands as per Jewish custom, and there is some conversation about sex between teenage girls and their teacher.) Nothing is graphic or disrespectful, in my opinion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment