Why I have this book: I borrowed the audio version from the digital library.
I remember that my best friend in upper elementary school loved this book. I don't think I ever read it? I didn't recall anything from the story as I was listening, so if I did read it as a child, it certainly didn't make an impression on me.
Honestly, it's right up there with the most boring books I've ever read. I have no idea how it won so many awards. It was fairly shallow, anti-climactic, and not very imaginative. It was published in the 1960's, so it's at a disadvantage now that we have books like the Harry Potter series in comparison.
I did enjoy the "afterward" by the author's granddaughter that told about her grandma's life. That was way more interesting than the book itself.
I gave this one star on Goodreads.
Clean. Younger kids might find it scary in parts.
No comments:
Post a Comment