Saturday, October 18, 2025

Where the Red Fern Grows (Wilson Rawls)

Why I have this book: I borrowed the audio version from the ebook library. 

The timing on this was... notable? It became available shortly before we had to schedule to put our own pup to sleep. I started it before that decision was made, and finished it a day after our little guy was gone.

Very, very sad.

As far as the book goes, the narrator (Anthony Heald) was fantastic. The story was probably more coon-hunting than my interest affords, but I loved the parts about their family dynamics/relationships/love, and of course, I loved the relationship between the boy and his dogs. I loved his hard work and patience and dedication to his dream. 

I didn't like the explanation the parents gave as to why things happened the way they did at the end. It didn't make God seem very fair or loving, and I would think it would make a person question the nature of God if that were the truth.

I gave this book four stars on Goodreads. Even though it made me cry (mostly because of the loss of our Tater-Bean), I'm glad I read it. 

PS. I don't know if I ever read it before. I think I probably saw the movie as a kid? I had my husband read it to our older kids when they were young to give them all an experience/memory... which definitely worked. I'm not sure if it's something they remember with fondness or not since it's so sad! There were many tears shed. I remember coming into the room as the last chapter was being read, and the reader and the listeners were all crying. 

Clean. There is some description of hunting/skinning coons, and there are descriptions of a severe injury of a dog. The story also deals with loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment