Why I have this book: Amazon recommended it to me, I think, and it was available to borrow on KU.
Okay, as far as writing, this book would only earn about two stars from me. It needed serious editing. The funny thing was that the author named somebody in the acknowledgements who edited the book more than once. I'm not sure what she edited because there were writing mistakes throughout the entire book.
Having said that, I still gave the book four stars on Goodreads. The story itself was courageously told. It's the memoir of a woman who was abused throughout childhood and kept convincing herself that she could "fix" her family (if only in the eternities) by being faithful and forgiving.
It's so hard for me to know that people really live like this family did. It's especially difficult to know that children experience abuse and neglect of this nature without anyone noticing or doing anything about it. It's also interesting how children sometimes don't realize how abnormal their lives are until they grow up and experience life elsewhere.
The book reminded me a bit of Educated by Tara Westover. Tara's book was way more polished, but their stories were similar in some ways, especially in how religious beliefs can make a family justify their own harmful lifestyles and choices.
There are some descriptions of the sexual abuse and other neglect/abuse the author experienced. I don't recall any swearing or anything else some might find objectionable.
No comments:
Post a Comment