Sunday, August 4, 2024

Before the Ever After (Jacqueline Woodson)

Why I have this book: My friend recommended it to me, so I borrowed the audio version from the online library.

I'm sad to say I initially gave this book only two stars on Goodreads. I think the subject matter (brain injury that sometimes occurs after repeated concussions in football players) is super important. The narrator did a great job. I don't know... I just had a hard time staying engrossed in the story. The audio version was only about two hours long, too, so it shouldn't have been too hard to stay focused. Maybe it's just lingering "covid brain fog" that made it difficult for me to get into it.

So since it may have just been the brain fog, and seeing that the book has won awards, I'm going to bump my stars up to three. 

I don't recall any swearing or anything. It was geared toward upper elementary kids, so it's clean. It could be triggering for any child who has dealt with life-changing health issues in a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment