Tuesday, January 2, 2024

The Last Bookshop in London (Madeline Martin)

Why I have this book: I've had it for a while on my Kindle, but borrowed the audio version so I could switch between listening and reading. (I mostly listened, and the narrator did a good job.)

I ended up giving this three stars on Goodreads. I liked the story, but felt like it got a little corny at times, especially at the end. I did appreciate the description of how WWII affected Londoners with all the bombing raids they endured. It's hard to imagine that level of destruction.

The writing was smooth, and it was easy to get sucked into the story. I just thought things were maybe a bit unrealistic toward the end. Am I too cynical about human nature? Maybe things were different back then with how people treated each other. There was a bit more praise/hero worship than I think was realistic for the situation, but I could be wrong. It was a sweet ending, though. 

Clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment