Thursday, June 1, 2023

When Mormons Doubt: A Way to Save Relationships and Seek a Quality Life

Why I have this book: I bought it on Kindle sometime in the last handful of months.

I gave this book three stars on Goodreads. I think it could have been shorter and more concise, but it did give some good advice to consider.

Interestingly, I couldn't tell if the author is an active member of the LDS Church or not. He seemed to have a good understanding of the issues that cause members of the Church to doubt or stop believing. He also recognizes why people believe and want to stay in the Church. I'm sure a little more reading or a bit of research would let me know if he's an active or believing member, but it doesn't really matter to me.

I like that he sees how we can be blinded by loyalty to our own beliefs and thus can't always see that there may be truth in someone else's experiences and beliefs, as well.

The gist of the book is that there are a lot of things in this world that can bring joy and unity, not just believing in the same religion (or political party, for that matter). Relationships and a quality life can be built on those things, which fall under the "categories" of truth, beauty, and goodness. He actually goes into this topic much deeper than a surface level, and it gave me a lot to think about. I liked that his ideas require a more deliberate, engaged way of living.

Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment