Saturday, April 29, 2023

Unfollow: A Memoir of Loving and Leaving Extremism (Megan Phelps-Roper)

It sounds like this book has had a few title tweaks since it was published. The subtitle that came up on Goodreads was A Journey from Hatred to Hope. 

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library because I've been in a bit of a study of people who leave high-demand religions.

I gave this one four stars on Goodreads. Again, it's interesting to see how similar all these high-demand religions are... pressure, guilt, control, the declaration that they are the only ones with the truth, etc. The Westboro Baptist Church (which this book is about) is probably one of the most extreme I've read about so far, at least as far as how they treat others and the lack of caring and love shown to people in tragic situations. It's amazing that none of the members/followers in this church could see how awful their behavior was. It's possible some did/do see, but were or are too afraid to do anything about it since they know how they'll be treated.

I learned a lot about this church that I didn't know before. The author is the granddaughter of the founder of the church, so it was a definite "insider" look. I hope she and others who have left this religion behind will enjoy happy and peaceful lives as they move forward. I gave it four stars on Goodreads.

Mostly clean. There were a handful of swear words, including the F-word.


No comments:

Post a Comment