Sunday, April 30, 2023

The Overdue Life of Amy Byler (Kelly Harms)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from Prime Reading, and then later my friend recommended it, so I was glad I had it.

I really liked this book. I was surprised to see that it didn't have great reviews on Amazon after I read it, but maybe it depended on if you could relate to the protagonist's feelings about motherhood or not.

There were a few things that were kinda weird... like how she would often say something like, "Say what now?" What adult says that in this day and age? Maybe it's a Pennsylvania thing?

And I don't understand sleeping with a guy on the first date. Do people really do that? 

I enjoyed the banter between friends... I chuckled a few times reading their text messages. And I loved how they came together to support Amy. I'd have to assume she'd do the same for them.

It probably wasn't the best written book ever, but I was drawn in and was easily able to feel the emotions experienced by the main character... especially the difficult ones. I gave it four stars on Goodreads.

Adult sex is happening... but it's not descriptive. There's an implication of a teenager considering sexual experiences, but she seems to be pretty level-headed about those choices. There's some swearing... I can't remember if the F-word is involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment