Thursday, January 6, 2022

Of Literature and Lattes (Katherine Reay)

Why I have this book: I bought it because I've read and enjoyed other books by the author. I actually bought it at the same time I bought the previously reviewed first book in the series (The Printed Letter Bookshop) with a gift card my friend gave me for my birthday. (So kind and thoughtful!)

Well, I had high hopes for this book since I enjoyed the first in the series so much, but sadly, I just couldn't get into this one. I can't decide if I didn't enjoy it as much because I didn't spend as much time in it, or if I didn't spend as much time in it because I didn't enjoy it that much. I had a hard time believing the main love story... the male half of the love match seemed like a pretty immature guy. Nice, but immature. I didn't really "feel" them fall in love. It just kinda happened. The female protagonist was also immature, but apparently was also brilliant. Her personality didn't really tie into her brilliance very well. I don't know. It just didn't all mesh for me.

Also, in this book and the previous one, the author used the word "cacophonous" several times. I just feel like when an uncommon word or phrase is overused, it becomes distracting. (Or maybe everyone else uses the word "cacophonous" and I'm the odd one out?)

So... I gave it two stars on Goodreads. 

Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment