Thursday, April 1, 2021

On My Own Two Feet: From Losing My Legs to Learning the Dance of Life (Amy Purdy)

Why I have this book: I bought it for Kindle when it was on sale for $1.99.  I'm guessing it was on Book Bub or something because I didn't know anything about the author.

Well, I ended up giving it two stars on Goodreads. The first part was interesting and intense as her illness and subsequent medical issues were explained. That is some tough stuff to go through.

After that, it was just about all her achievements and all the things that make her important and famous. I feel like she glossed over the hard recovery without going into much depth, and she mostly focused on all she did that's impressive. 

I think I assumed this was going to be a Christian-focused book... I'm not sure why I thought that, but it definitely didn't have a lot to do with God. The author seemed to be more about what she was meant to do in life (big things), and it seemed like all the people and all the blessings she received to recover and achieve so much were just side-notes to what she accomplished.

There was more swearing than needed (although I don't remember any F-bombs), and the author slept with guys before marriage without apology. I just checked, and apparently she did marry her long-time boyfriend after living together for years. I don't think she mentioned that in the book, but I was skimming toward the end, so maybe I missed it, or maybe they got married after it was published. In any case, the focus wasn't on any kind of religious/moral viewpoint, and it was clean for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment