Saturday, November 21, 2020

Man's Search for Meaning (Viktor E. Frankl)

Why I have this book: I have had it in print form for years and years, bought the Kindle edition a couple of years ago, then listened to the audio version. :) I'm pretty sure I did read it back in the day, but as with many books, life experience adds to the meaning a book has in our lives when we read it again.

This book got a solid 5 stars from me on Goodreads. Can I just tell you how often I walk around whining, "What is the purpose of my life???" Haha... 

Not that this book answered that question for me, but it validated my reason for asking that question! It helped me to understand why that's important for me to find and understand. It gave me some things to think about in discovering my purpose now that I don't have such little children to focus on all day.

And of course, reading about concentration camps and war and what I like to call "the triumph of the human spirit" is always meaningful to me. I stand in awe of the people who came before me and experienced those hard times with dignity and greatness. Listening to the book during this year of Covid gave me some perspective, as well. There were a few times I just wanted to cry for the horrors humans had to face during the Holocaust. 

Clean, although the author does briefly mention the lack of sexual desire among the prisoners when just survival was the primary need. The second part of the book talks about sexuality in a psychological realm, and it's a little more detailed than I'd want my teenagers to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment