Sunday, November 22, 2020

A Northern Light (Jennifer Donnelly)

Why I have this book: A friend recommended it, so I borrowed it from the ebook library. I actually borrowed the audiobook first, but I just couldn't get my brain into it, so then I borrowed the ebook.

I really liked this book. Once I had gotten my bearings in the ebook, I wished I had the audio version as well so I could stay entrenched in the story no matter what I was doing.

I don't really know how to describe it, but it just felt raw and earthy. Maybe I'm just in a "feelings" mood lately, but I was fully sucked into this story and could feel the emotions of the main character Mattie. It's still kind of processing in my brain the day after I finished it.

I gave it four stars on Goodreads.

There's definitely some creepy sexual stuff in this book... like a gross guy who likes exposing himself and an illicit affair (although I wouldn't necessarily consider it consensual) that is mildly descriptive, and some other "coming of age" sexuality that's not graphically described. It doesn't come across as a positive thing, necessarily, and almost seems out of place. There is also some swearing, but no F-bombs.

No comments:

Post a Comment