Monday, July 13, 2020

Sarah's Quilt (Nancy E. Turner)

Why I have this book: I have the book in print, but I borrowed the ebook version to re-read the story. I'll probably be passing the books from this series on (only because I'm trying to clean out books) so others can love them, too.

I really loved this book. I wanted to give it five stars on Goodreads because it has all the feels for me. I think I loved it more this read than the first time I read it. I'm older now and have more life experience which helps me understand and relate to the protagonist so much more.

I do have an issue with how the dates of the "diary" are compared to what she writes. Like it's dated a particular date and starts with "this morning," but then partly through the same date's entry, it says "the next day..." That didn't really make sense to me, and I remember it bothered me the first time I read it. It also doesn't read like a diary as much as the first one. I don't know. I kinda had to just look at the dates like chapter titles and forget the idea that it was supposedly diary entries.

I think one character could have not even been part of the story and it might have been a good thing. In some ways, I thought he detracted from the story.

The digital version did a a handful of typos, as well. I gave it four stars on Goodreads just because of those few issues, but if I was just basing it on all the emotion of it, it would have been five stars from me.

This book is much like the first with all kinds of drama and violence common to the era, including a hanging and a couple of sexual assault attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment