Monday, September 26, 2016

A Man Called Ove (Fredrik Backman)

Why I have this book: It's all the rage nowadays, and a friend recommended it, too. I borrowed it from the ebook library.

I'm a bit torn on this book. On the one hand, it has a warm, fuzzy feel to it. I had a few moments of chuckling in my mind. On the other hand, I am bothered by parts of it. So I'm just not certain what I think.

And... the man, Ove, is only 59. Yet he is described and acts like he's 80. I picture the story of his childhood and early adult years as being set further back in history than is possible considering his current age and the current time period of the story. I mean, there are iPads and cell phones, so it's not like it was set back in the 20th century.

I just can't put my finger on it, but it's mostly got me all befuddled. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.

There is some swearing, including the F-word and taking the Lord's name in vain. There is a character (or two) who are gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment