Tuesday, March 29, 2016

I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't) (Brenè Brown)

Why I have this book: A friend recommended it years ago, and it's been on my Kindle since then.

I've read several of Brenè's books, and this is probably my least favorite. It seemed to be trying too hard to sound intellectual and deep with the issue of shame (the focus of the book). I didn't disagree with a lot of her thoughts about how women struggle with feeling "good enough," but to keep labeling it "shame" and pulling everything back in that direction felt like an effort to me. Maybe it's all semantics. 

I still highlighted a lot of things, and solutions for overcoming those feelings that seemed helpful. It just seemed to take a long time to get to the point, at least in my opinion. Maybe if the reader was more interested in the research and analysis, it would feel different to them.

There is some swearing in this book... and really, it's not necessary. Sexuality is also discussed, as it relates to the topic of shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment