Monday, October 19, 2015

Born Round: A Story of Family, Food, and a Ferocious Appetite (Frank Bruni)

Why I have this book: It was available to borrow immediately on the ebook library. I don't know why I needed to borrow a book at all… I have plenty to read already.

I guess Frank Bruni is a "food/restaurant critic"for the New York Times. I'm actually not even sure that's the right newspaper. I probably should double check… Yes, that's right. Anyway, I wouldn't know that if I didn't read this book. (Apparently, he's quite well known in some circles.)

I enjoyed learning about his family… they were the most interesting part of the book. They sound like a strong, Italian family with good roots and traditions and relationships. I liked that.

I didn't really care about the details of his career as a restaurant critic. That part got a little boring… and like a horrible job, in my opinion. It would get old having to go out to eat that often. (No, really. It would drive me crazy. Once a week is plenty! He went out at least 4 times a week, sometimes more than once each day!)

I didn't want to hear about his romantic life.

The parts about his weight/eating/working out/trying to lose weight in case he gets a date with a guy (and they decide to get nekked) were just sad. The bulimia and the fear of seeing people when he had gained weight and all that… it was just sad. He had so much else going for him… a great family, lots of opportunities, great career, traveling, money, etc. But this one thing controlled so much of his life. It sounds like maybe he's gotten some control over it (at least at the end of the book), but it was interesting to see how his mind worked with that, and it made me a bit depressed.

He's a good writer, but I'm not really sold on the book. I feel unsettled by it for multiple reasons. I'm glad I just borrowed it and I wouldn't feel the need to recommend it to anyone.

There is a bit of swearing here and there. The author is gay and talks about his "intimate" encounters. Not graphic, but it seems to be a lot of casual sex, with a few serious relationships over the years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment