Monday, July 7, 2014

Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen)

Why I have this book: Because once upon a time, I was enthralled with reading classics. And I like movies made from Jane Austen stories... AND our little book club was reading it, so it was time to jump in.

I actually have the hard copy of this book, but I downloaded the Kindle version anyway, because I love my Kindle Paperwhite. :)

Okay, so it took me a while to get through the book. I even stopped reading it from time to time and read other books in between. It's not that I didn't enjoy it... I just didn't enjoy it so terribly much that I couldn't put it down. I also admit to watching the movie first (which changed the storyline a bit... it was the one with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant) so that I could follow the story better.

 - some of the paragraphs are soooooooo long and rambling. I found my mind wandering during those long, rambling paragraphs and not absorbing any of it. Then I had to read it again. And sometimes again.

- the characters also rambled. Half the time they lost me in what they were trying to say. Just say it. Be quick about it. No need to ramble on and on with half finished thoughts...

- I had a hard time keeping some of the characters straight. Lady this and Lady that and Mrs. (husband's name) and Miss and Mr. and is that a first name or last name? and so on. SO glad I watched the movie first. It made it a little easier, although the movie changed things up a bit.

So, all-in-all... it's Jane Austen. The stories are funny and I love how they make light of that uppity society. (I found myself smiling at that from time to time.) I just didn't find it easy to get lost in the reading of it. I'm glad I pushed through, though.

Clean, although they did use the Lord's name as an exclamation of emotion often.


No comments:

Post a Comment