Friday, August 31, 2012

Willpower Is Not Enough (A. Dean Byrd and Mark D. Chamberlain)

Why I have this book: I think I bought it spur of the moment while browsing at my local LDS bookstore.

I started this book a few months ago, got sidetracked, and just finished it today. It's a spiritually based book about overcoming our weaknesses, and there is a lot of good information in it. I underlined quite a few sentences here and there that resonated with me.

It has a bit of a clinical feel to it from time to time. Some of the examples the authors use are based on clients who deal with some significant issues, including sexual addictions. I kind of wish I could separate out the spiritual parts from the clinical parts, and I wish it was maybe more vague in specific issues as they shared examples. I guess if the reader was also dealing with those issues, it would be a good thing. And maybe they wrote the book with that target audience in mind.

They did have examples of lots of different struggles, so I think most people would be able to find something in the book that sounds like their "story." No matter the particular issue, the emotions may be similar as we each strive to overcome our "thorns".

It's one of those books I wouldn't necessarily read again in it's entirety, but I would flip though and read the things I underlined. So... I will keep it. The overall message of the book is hopeful and directs the reader to the Atonement of Jesus Christ and yielding our hearts to the Holy Spirit. That's always the best message.

Sexual and other addictions are discussed in this book.

1 comment:

  1. I tend to enjoy spiritual mixed with clinical. Something about the mix intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete