Monday, November 28, 2011

All That is Bitter and Sweet (Ashley Judd with Maryanne Vollers)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from my library for my Kindle.

I thought this memoir would be mostly about Ashley's dysfunctional childhood... and there was that. Most of the book, however, was about her work with humanitarian causes, specifically with women and children who are victims of forced prostitution, rape, poverty, AIDS/HIV, and other horrible life conditions in all parts of the world.

It's a hard book to read... really, so many of us live in a bubble and don't realize (or internalize) the reality of life for so many people in this world. It's unfathomable, but it's... real.

The book itself is well-written. I don't agree with many of Ashley's life philosophies, but I certainly admire her for the way she has fought to open her heart in order to love and serve and heal. She does what relatively few people would be willing to do. At the same time, she lets us know that there are many unsung heroes in the fight for humanity.

It wasn't what I expected, but I'm glad I read it. It opened my eyes.

This book contains a handful of swear words. Obviously, the subject matter is sensitive: Rape, prostitution, violence. The author doesn't mince words or descriptions of what she saw and what these women experience. But... what would be the point of sugar coating it? The world does need to know exactly what is happening, and I believe she shared the details to be a voice for those who can't speak up for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment