I think my bookshelf challenge has totally and completely evolved, because I'm really not reading any of my old books. Maybe at some point... but there are too many books that I haven't read yet!
Why I have this book: I'm pretty sure I got it for free on my Kindle. If it wasn't free, it was pretty close to free. In any case, I do like Lynn Austin, so I was happy to get to read one of her books at a good deal.
Let's just get the annoyance at the adoption theme out of the way first. Yes, there is an adoption theme, and there were several cringe-worthy moments involved. Why, oh why do people not "get" that your adoptive parents ARE your "real" parents??? I understand that in this case, the child didn't have a great relationship with her parents, but they still were her parents and that makes them "real". I just wish that people who write about adoption would research it a bit and understand those trigger words.
Next, let's talk about how things did tie up pretty neatly at the end. Which is good... happy endings are always good, and there was a lot of drama and loss already in the story, so I can accept how nicely everything turned out. It probably would have been too heavy without it... but it did seem somewhat "convenient" in some ways. Still, I was happy that there were so many good things that happened.
So, with those two issues out of the way... I really liked this book. I liked how the author covered the topic of whether or not God is involved in our lives, even when we can't see Him or even if we're not sure He is listening to our prayers. I liked how faith was represented by characters of both Jewish and Christian belief. I liked how they could lean on each other and learn from each other.
At first, the writing seems simplistic, but it gets better as the book goes on. And as for the characters, I loved Mr. Mendel. I related to his feelings and efforts the most.
Definite keeper... even if it wasn't on my Kindle.
This book is clean, other than a few times when a kid uses a derogatory term for "Jew".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment