Sunday, August 31, 2025

Yours Truly (Abby Jimenez)

Why I have this book: It's the second in a series my daughter recommended (and the one I had to buy since KU didn't have this one).

Another three-star book for me. Cute story, but sooooooooo unrealistic. The "epilogue" had me almost laughing aloud with how things were so neatly tied up, and the way they were so unconventional seemed unrealistic even for the level of unrealistic that already existed.

Or maybe I'm just cynical and from a generation/geographical location that makes it seem unrealistic to me.

In any case, the story is entertaining (just like the first book in the series), but still needs editing. Besides the too-often repeated phrases, there's also a punctuation issue at times. Again, I'm wondering why the editors aren't stepping in.

This book had a male protagonist who suffered from anxiety. I liked this description of his experience with that particular mental health struggle: "He wasn't just living what was happening. He was living what might happen. An infinite number of what-ifs, fueled by his anxiety, each one experienced like they were going on simultaneously, eating away at him, terrifying him, tormenting him. And once he started down that path, it was so hard to stop the progression. It was a self-perpetuating cycle of emotional destruction."

As far as content:
Profanity, sexual encounters (moderately descriptive). Typical rom-com for this day and age, but not as bad on either count as some other books out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment