Friday, February 24, 2023

The Still Small Voice (Brenda Stanley)

Why I have this book: My friend loved it (it was written by an old high school classmate of hers), so I bought it on Kindle.

Sadly, I only gave this two stars on Goodreads. The story itself had a lot of potential, but there was way too much foreshadowing that left too many questions for too long. The book needed some serious editing since the author would write about an action ("so and so gathered her tote bag") followed a page later with something like "she found her tote bag." Did she lose it since the moment she gathered it a few paragraphs ago? There were several instances like that.

The book also left a few unanswered questions that made it a bit unsatisfying. I don't know, overall it wasn't that great of a read for me.

I do give the author credit for keeping one detail a big secret throughout the book even though she didn't obviously go out of her way to hide it. That was clever and impressive!

Clean, but be aware that the storyline dealt with death, suicide, sexuality, and religious trauma.

No comments:

Post a Comment