Why I have this book: My daughter and son-in-law gave the book to us for Christmas, and I ended up using a credit on Audible to get the audio version, too.
I was going to give this four stars during Parts One and Two, but dropped it to a three after finishing the book. The book wasn't what I expected... I thought it would be more about Christ (you know... Christian), but it was about the Christian religion, whether Catholic, Evangelical, etc. He talked about the problems of the history and current issues within the Christian religion. He talked about why people might want to distance themselves from Christianity (Part One) or why they might want to stay (Part Two).
I thought both of those sections were very interesting and relatable. Part Three bored me to tears (I don't even remember what the point was), and the section where he told listeners how to get the most of the book was kinda silly and annoying for me. I mean, he had some good ideas if that's what you're looking for, so maybe it's because I just wanted the book to be done.
The author is or was a pastor, but his view and belief in Christianity isn't traditional at all. He is obviously liberal-minded and progressive. Very nuanced. I'm not saying I disagree with all his points, but he did get a little too political for me in parts.
Anyway, I'm glad I listened to it. It gave me things to think about in regards to the history of Christianity and how the hierarchy of the "church" (any of them) can be problematic. I just don't understand why anyone wants to stay "active" in any church if they feel they have to change it to make it work for them. Just worship on your own. (But I'm an introvert, so I understand I don't need that "community" like some people might.)
Clean. I don't remember anything offensive other than some might be offended by his views on religion and Christianity.
No comments:
Post a Comment