Monday, February 7, 2022

Pax (Sara Pennypacker)

Why I have this book: My friend recently read it, and she recommended it to me. I borrowed it from the ebook library.

I liked this book okay. Could be my "brain fog" from my recent bout with the current popular illness. I can't seem to keep my brain focused on anything lately. 

The book is written for kids about 8-12, I believe, but I wonder how well children of that age would follow the writing. I doubt very many would be able to read between the lines and see the deeper stories that are happening.

It's also set in an "indeterminate" time and place (that's how my friend put it), so that makes it a little confusing. It appears to be in the US, but there's a war going on in the country, and it's not set back in history. That was hard to settle into for me. I like knowing where and when things are happening soon after a story opens.

I gave this book 3 stars on Goodreads. I probably would have gone with 2.5 if that was an option. There is a sequel, but I don't think I'll read it.

Clean'ish. There is some description of war-time violence and violence against animals from the animals' points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment