Saturday, July 10, 2021

The Apology Project (Jeanette Escudero)

Why I have this book: It was a freebie in the Amazon First Picks program. I read the few reviews (because First Picks come out before the books are actually released, so not many have read them yet), and one review made me think it was fairly clean.

I wouldn't classify it as clean. There was plenty of swearing (including F-bombs), and it starts out with what we assume is going to be a drunk one-night stand. (It's not descriptive, but it's still obvious.) I was ready to quit the book early on, but for some reason I kept reading. I think it was because the writing was super easy to get into.

In any case, I ended up enjoying the story quite a bit. Like I said, the writing made it easy to get swallowed up in the story, and I liked the experiences the protagonist had with her family, her (newly found) extended family, and the people she reached out to as part of her "apology project." 

I honestly would have given this four solid stars if there wasn't the casual sex (again, not described) and the swearing. The story itself was great. Because it wasn't clean (and because those things were definitely not needed to make the storyline work), I only gave it three stars on Goodreads.

Not really clean. Described above, and I'll add that there are a handful of instances of using the Lord's name as an expression of exclamation, and there's way too much drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment