Why I have this book: I had a print edition years ago, then I bought the Kindle edition because I think I gave the print version away. Then I discovered audiobooks, so I ended up buying it on Audible and just finished listening to it while making doll quilts for my grandkids for Christmas. Perfect.
I gave this book three stars on Goodreads. I liked a lot of the advice in it on how to apply Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, analyzing distorted thoughts, etc. That part was worthwhile, and I think useful for so many people who struggle with moodiness, anxiety, and depression.
There was too much swearing for my taste, and the last part of the book was about the use of anti-depressants, how they work (all sorts of biological explanations), the history of many types of those medications, etc. That wasn't that interesting to me, but obviously was a good thing for him to include.
I found this a little annoying: In one example, the woman used his advice to win her husband back (from the woman he cheated with) by basically doing all those dumb things women were told to do in the olden days: reward him with sex when he does something right, give him lots of compliments, always be pleasant, etc. Another woman learned to see things through her husband's eyes ("He couldn't help himself. He found her attractive even though he still loves me.") so she could not only forgive him, but also not feel bad about the situation and even understand it.
Gag. I'd be like, "Your loss, dude. Feel free to try to win ME back."
Mostly clean. Like I said, there was more swearing than I like. He mentioned sex several times, but I think it was always in the context of symptoms of depression (loss of interest in sex) and other psychiatric applications, as well as in situations as mentioned above.
No comments:
Post a Comment