Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Piecing Me Together (Renèe Watson)

Why I have this book: A friend (L) recommended it, and since it was available right away to borrow on the ebook library, I did that.

I liked this book a lot. The writing was super easy to get into. It's a book that tries to shed light on race relations and discrimination from the point of view of a modern day black girl and her circle of friends and family as well as the students and teachers of her school.

It definitely made me think about how much we all misunderstand each other, how even those with the best of intentions and no intentional racism don't understand what it feels like to be black, and how maybe people of color don't realize how white people really don't understand what is meant by "white privilege." There's a lot of work to be done in this world to help us all search inside our hearts and make the changes needed to create peace and compassion.

I gave it four stars on Goodreads.

Clean. I don't recall any swear words or anything offensive, but I'd say it's geared for upper jr. high to adult readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment