Sunday, April 21, 2019

The Blue Tattoo: The Life of Olive Oatman (Margot Mifflin)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library after I saw it recommended somewhere. (Maybe it was on an old email I read while I was cleaning out our old computer.)

Well, honestly, while the story itself (of Olive Oatman) is fascinating, I didn't love this non-fiction book. I feel like it didn't really clarify anything, since Olive's own version of her experiences changed over time. This book seemed to be discounting some of the first published accounts (and it seems as though they should be discounted), but there are still a lot of unanswered questions about what happened. I have to think this author also filled in the blanks with what seemed "likely."

In any case, there were some parts in the book that I could have done without (the meaning of her Mojave nickname, the sexual exploits of the Mojave people, what other nicknames meant, etc.) Since it was again speculation on how these things fit in with Olive's experience, I'm not sure it needed to really be mentioned in that much detail.

I only gave this book two stars on Goodreads because I did skim quite a bit just to get through it. There were parts that were pretty interesting, but other parts just didn't keep my attention. Also, because so much is speculation, it kind of lost it's significance for me.

Mostly clean, although the reader will get a picture in his/her mind of the massacre that killed Olive's family by the description given. There is also detail (in one section) about the sexual habits of the Mojave people, including what certain "nicknames" meant that had sexual connotation. The author used profanity and vulgarity to describe what those nicknames meant. She could have explained without being so crass, in my opinion, although I'm not sure all that detail was necessary, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment