Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Silent Souls Weeping (Jane Clayson Johnson)

Why I have this book: I've read another book by the author which I loved, and I am always interested in reading books on mental illness.

I only gave this three stars on Goodreads because, to be honest, I found it a little depressing. (No pun intended.) I'm going to listen to the audio version (free on DBS+) at some point to see if I like it better the second time around.

I don't know... I appreciate the author's desire to remove the "stigma" of mental illness, but I guess since she didn't really delve into treatments (on purpose), it was mostly stories of those who struggle. It didn't feel as hopeful as I thought it could.

I did love her chapter on missionaries who struggle with mental illness and the mission presidents who worked to help them have successful missions. If only every mission president was as concerned about the missionaries as they are about the "numbers." I felt very grateful for those mission presidents who gave those struggling missionaries the best mission experience possible.

I'll update this if I like it better after listening to it.

ETA: I did listen to it on audio, and I did like it better! I'm changing the Goodreads rating to four stars.

Clean. It does talk about suicide and has stories of people who chose to end their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment