Friday, January 12, 2018

The Secret of Pembrooke Park (Julie Klassen)

Why I have this book: I bought it on Kindle a few years ago when I had some birthday Amazon cards.

I enjoyed this book a lot — until the end. And even then, I still liked it.

I could hardly get my nose out of the book. I was so intrigued by the secrets and mysteries in the story. It was a great escape and I admit to neglecting other duties to read, read, read!

The ending fell a tiny bit flat for me, and the religious aspect seemed like the author couldn't decide whether it was a religious book or not. (I noticed it was by Bethany House after I finished it, so it was supposed to be a religious book.) The protagonist went from not really being a church-goer to sharing the gospel . . . but I never really "saw" her conversion.

Some on Goodreads said some situations in the love story don't mesh with "propriety" of the era, and I can see their point. I'm not that invested in that concern, so I didn't really care. I can see, though, how there was a modern slant to their behavior.

If I could, I would have given this about 3.7 on Goodreads, but since my choices are limited, I gave it a 4.

Clean... unless you are bothered that a courtship of this era has a few passionate emotions going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment