Why I have this book: My friend recommended it and I borrowed it from the ebook library.
I had started this book after finishing the first in the series, but was turned off by potty humor in the first chapter. I decided to give it another try after my friend told me she read it anyway and ended up enjoying it.
I enjoyed it for the most part, although the things that bugged me the first time still bug me. (Using the f-word that means pass gas... I'm sorry, but I hate that word!) and a few references to dumb potty-type/body part humor. I just don't think we need to lower ourselves to the level where we think kids are in order to write a good book. Why not show them books can be good without having the dumb stuff? I just also hate the part that talks about seeing the principal's underwear. I feel like it's too edgy for this target age group. I actually thought quite a few things weren't really appropriate for the age group that might be drawn to this book.
In any case, the story itself was enjoyable to me if all the stupid stuff was removed. As I sit and think about the things that bugged me, I realize I'm definitely not going to read the third book in the series. It's my silent protest. ;)
I mentioned some of the problems I had with this book that make it not a "clean" book for me. It's juvenile stuff, but it's also unnecessary for the story. Also, it feels weird to me to have a male author talking about periods and breast growth. It wasn't done distastefully (not quite as obsessive as Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret), but where the book would be read by either male or female kids, it just seems odd. I know, I know... boys need to know about periods, too. I'm just not sure this is the "forum" for it.
The author actually references Are You There... and to be honest, I think he tries to be like Judy Blume with some of the things he writes. I tried to read her books again earlier this year (having read them as a pre-adolescent), and found them somewhat disturbing as an parent. I think she encouraged an obsession with periods and breasts and other things. But anyway, I'm getting sidetracked...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment