Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Letters on an Elk Hunt (Elinore Pruitt Stewart)

Why I have this book: I bought it years ago after I read the first book, Letters of a Woman Homesteader, which I reviewed earlier in this blog.

I really loved this book. I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads. I gave the first book 4 stars, because I was a little bothered by the overuse of the n-word (which was common for that time period). Both books are so delightfully written, and I wish I could be friends with the author. She is just a really neat person. Well, she was... she passed away in the early 1930's, according to Wikipedia.

I don't even know what else to say. I loved the book and I love that she wrote letters to chronicle her experiences that are so wonderful to read, and that they were kept and published. I love that she knew all the rules about lie, lay, lain, etc. I'm sad she died so young (57). I'll be thinking about this book for a while.

Clean, other than I believe the n-word was used a couple of times, at least once in a song title. But again, it was just part of that era, and not used with the intent to be offensive.




No comments:

Post a Comment