Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Let's talk about "Where the Wild Things Are."

I've been cleaning my son's room today, and part of that includes going through our zillions of children's books. Some that I'm getting rid aren't even worth mentioning, but can we just talk about Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak?

This book is a 1964 Caldecott Award winner. That's probably why I bought it when my older kids were young. Or maybe everyone was reading it, so we had to join in. We've dutifully read it to each of our kids.

I really don't get this book. I never have understood what it's supposed to mean. And honestly, I have never loved it. I've only read it to our kids because I thought I should, I guess.

To be fair, Maurice Sendak also illustrated the Little Bear books, and I love those. So I have a fond spot in my heart for his work. Wild Things, though, is heading out the door. I refuse to feel guilty about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment