Why I have this book: It was a book club book from years ago. I never read it... maybe it was around the time I went to Korea, maybe it was the next year when I was overwhelmed with other things. I don't remember why I didn't read it when I first bought it, but it was worth the wait.
I'll point out first that this is a true story... really, a biography that reads like a novel. It's so smooth and easy to read that I often forgot that it is non-fiction.
I could gush for paragraphs about this book, but I'll try to restrain myself. AMAZING. Really, one of the most worthwhile books I have ever read. Not only was it very well written, the story itself is emotionally gripping and deeply moving. I was hooked from the first page and when I finished the last page, I felt very touched by all the facets of this story. It is impossible to put into words the enormity of not only this story, but how this time in history affected our world.
I wish I could read Phil's story in more depth. (He is an important, but secondary, character in this book.) So unfortunate that every soldier and every person can't have their story told so completely. There are many heroes in our world who go largely unnoticed. (Heroes, in my opinion, are often ordinary people who quietly do extraordinary things.)
I loved it and will recommend this book to everyone. I know I'm late to the party on it (they are making it into a movie now), but anyone who hasn't read it yet...? Yes, read it.
There is a handful of swearing in this book, including one F-word. I believe every swear word is quoting somebody, not just random swearing by the author. There are painful wartime and POW experiences which are obviously not pleasant, but this is not a graphic book... it's just an honest portrayal of what war is like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also loved this book. I found it very moving and inspiring. I couldn't help crying though the ending.
ReplyDelete