Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Uneasy Fortunes (Mandi Ellsworth)

Why I have this book: The author is a friend of a friend, so I thought I'd be supportive to an aspiring and newly published writer.

It was pretty good. The writing was better than some... the conversations seem natural, the writing smooth. The storyline was fine, too.

Some of it seemed very unrealistic. The manner in which the "bad guys" were handled, for example... just not realistic. Scenes involving the villains were probably the corniest parts of the book.

The ending tied up rather quickly and kinda cheesy-like. That disappointed me, because really, I had mostly enjoyed the book.

There were a couple of editing issues... one was a misspelling that made me think, "Um, really?" Not a typo, but just something that really needed to be caught by the editor. Strange mistake.

All in all, not a bad way to relax through a day, but not a book that will stay on my shelf and not one I really would recommend to anyone as a "must read!" I'll be donating it to my local library.

P.S. Does anyone else think of how bad one's breath must smell after several days of fevering and being sick in a time when probably minty toothpaste wasn't even invented anyway? I never can quite get through kissing scenes when I know there is probably some really rancid breath going on.

Clean. There was one use of a word that means "loose woman."

No comments:

Post a Comment