Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Ghosts (Antonia Barber)

Why I have this book: This was the other book from my childhood that I searched out. It also was out of print, so I bought it used. (Shudder!)

I must have read this book more than a dozen times as a child. I LOVED it! It just absorbed me.

Funny... reading it as an adult was different. Good book... and even well written. But it didn't suck me in with that magical feeling like when I was a kid. It was fun to recognize little parts that I remembered from my childhood, such as certain phrases or descriptions, or to see the times when I had an "AHA!" moment and knew what was coming next.

The edition I purchased had a different cover than the one I loved as a child, but luckily, a friend has the edition with my cover on it. She emailed me a copy of it, and I'll print it up and stick it inside. Just seeing the cover from my childhood adds to the nostalgia of this book.

Definite keeper. I think my kids would like it.

Totally shocked when the evil Mrs. Wickens called Sara two very NOT nice names (along the lines of "tramp"). I don't remember that at all! My jaw fell to the floor! Other than that, I don't recall any swearing or anything else that would keep me from sharing this book with my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment