Stop Whining and Start Living
The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage
Why I have these books: The first one has been on my bookshelf for a long time. It was a bargain book somewhere or other. The second I bought because I enjoyed the first one so much and wanted another one to read. I looked through her list of books and it seemed the most applicable to my life (being married and all).
So I really liked the first one. I am a whiner. I admit it. I thought she had some really great advice in this book... and it applies to so many situations. It's not a marriage book. It really is just about lighting a fire under yourself, stop making excuses (whining), and just do what you know is best/right/important.
The second one was okay. I read The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands -sort of - many years ago. Actually, I was seeing red before I was too far into the book, so I only skimmed most of it. I thought this one might be more evenly directed at both husbands and wives. It was... but I still think Dr. Laura seems imbalanced when it comes to men vs women. The same scenario creates different advice depending on if it's a man or a woman with the problem, with the women generally being the one told to put your own needs on the shelf and put your man first... no matter what. The same doesn't seem to apply to the husbands. I don't disagree that serving one's spouse is a good thing... I just think there should be mutual understanding.
There was a lot of good advice in the book, but I can't say I agree with all of it.
I definitely think Stop Whining... deserves a place on my shelf. The other is on my Kindle... but if it was a "real" book, I probably would donate it to the library.
Dr. Laura does swear in both books, and also talks about sexual relationships in marriage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment