Monday, June 18, 2012

Reaching for Hope; An LDS Perspective on Recovering from Depression

Why I have this book: I'm not really sure how it ended up in my hands... er... on my Kindle. I was "browsing" on Amazon, and somehow this ended up on a "suggestions" list. It was right about the time a friend had a major depressive "event"... and having another loved one who suffers from depression and having faced times where I've had to work hard to pull myself 'up', I decided to buy it.

I really liked this book a lot. It was very insightful, especially in regards to how depression can affect one's spirituality. Some of the personal stories in it were hard to read (for me)... I just have a hard time imagining the difficulty of the experiences some have to face. I don't think we generally imagine how painful life can be for some people. The book helped me sort through some of my own experiences, and also helped me feel compassion for those who deal with deep and unrelenting depression.

There is also a section on "Bipolar Illness." It was sad to read. I just wish people didn't have to deal with things that are so out of their control and so difficult to endure. It's very sad and seems so unfair.

I will keep this book. Besides being written for those who suffer with depression, it's also written for those who wish to help and understand others who are clinically depressed. It's really a good resource.

Clean. At least one personal account involves sexual abuse, but it is not graphic in description.

No comments:

Post a Comment