Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the library on my Kindle.
I like autobiographies, and I was curious about this young woman's perspective on her life. The first part of the book was fine. I wasn't loving it... it seemed written by someone young (as it was) and I wasn't sure if the point was much more than a way to try and counter all the rumors told about her life. (There was a co-writer... I know she helped, but the "voice" is very young. I kind of wonder how that all worked.)
I enjoyed the book more as it went along. Bristol seems to be very down to earth and also seems to have a good head on her shoulders... other than for a time with the father of her son. It looks like she's over that, though.
I think it might be a good book for younger girls to read. Maybe they would learn a bit about making good decisions about relationships with boys. Then again, I think a lot of young people think they are the exception to the rule. I liked how she shared her feelings about her Christian beliefs and of God's love and the strength she gets from that foundation in her life.
I thought it was interesting how Bristol talked about other people in her life, naming names and saying things they did. I don't know... it almost seemed vengeful?
If it was a real book, I might have my teenage daughter read it and talk to her about what she can learn from Bristol's experience. I don't think I would keep it forever. I'd probably donate it to the library.
The book mentions premarital sex, where it happened, etc - but nothing graphic. There are some veiled swear words (like the first letter with ---'s, so you know what the word is without it really being spelled out.) There is mention of the boyfriend posing for Playgirl and of the signs of his cheating over and over again. If my daughter was going to read it, I'd definitely discuss it afterward.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment