Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Wolf by the Ears (Ann Rinaldi)

Why I have this book: My friend, L, loaned it to me.

I am a big fan of Ann Rinaldi, and I'm glad my friend shared this book with me. It reminded me how much I enjoy her books. She writes historical fiction for young adults, and often her main characters are people who are "real" historical figures.

The main character of this book is Harriet Hemings, the alleged illegitimate daughter of Thomas Jefferson. Her mother is his alleged slave mistress, Sally Hemings. I always learn a lot from reading Ann Rinaldi's books. She makes history come alive, but in the way that makes one think about the individuals who were a part of history. It's one thing to think about slavery, but it's another thing to think about what it meant to be a slave, specifically a slave child whose father is (again, allegedly) the "master" of the plantation. In this book, that master happens to be Thomas Jefferson.

I love historical fiction, and I love Ann Rinaldi's books. If this book was mine, it would be a keeper.

There is nothing graphic in this book, but obviously, there is information about mistresses and illegitimate children. There is also one attempted sexual assault by a white man against a black servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment