Saturday, November 18, 2023

Two books in the "Sweet Magnolias" series (Sherryl Woods)

Stealing Home

A Slice of Heaven

Why I have these books: Because I hadn't learned my lesson and bought ALL the (Kindle) books in the series when there was a special. I was interested because I watched the first two seasons of Sweet Magnolias on Netflix, and it seemed like the books might be nice to read.

*To be accurate, these two came in a "boxed" set, but I entered them separately on Goodreads so I'd get credit for two instead of one large book (as it is with the Kindle edition I bought). Gotta get my book count! haha

I gave them both 2 stars on Goodreads. Oh, my gosh. The first one had a scene in it that would not fly at all these days. I just checked, and I'm surprised to see it was originally published in 2007. I can't imagine the scene in question would have been okay then, either. (A man takes a woman's hand and puts it on his crotch to prove he is, indeed, attracted to her.) So gross and inappropriate, and dare I say, even sexual harrassment/assault.

I think if I hadn't seen the show, I wouldn't really have much connection to the characters. The character development isn't there. The story depth isn't there. I'm actually really surprised someone was able to see the potential in the story for a tv series. This is one time I can honestly say the show is better than the books.

As I mentioned, I bought the whole series on a whim. Dumb! I'm sure I'll still read them, but I've got a couple others to get to first.

I don't recall any swearing, but if there is, it's mild and infrequent. There is the one stupid scene mentioned above in the first book. The second book has a moderately described sex scene. A fair amount of "hot and bothered" going on in both books.

No comments:

Post a Comment