Why I have this book: My husband's cousin recommended it to me, so I bought the Kindle edition.
This was a tough one to rate. I thought the writing was actually very good. I had a hard time at first getting into the story, but I was more invested as it went along.
I honestly might have given it four stars because I found it easy to get to know the main characters and put myself in their shoes. I thought the part about the nuclear testing that happened in Nevada (and how it affected the residents of southern Utah) was super fascinating, especially the way he described it. A lot of the characters were quirky, and that was fun, as well.
Here's the problem (for me): There was way too much focus on sex. I'm not talking about descriptive sexual scenes. It was more that some of the characters were so focused on it... too many aroused men and boys, and there was too much talk about what was going on in their nether-regions. There was a particularly disturbing scene toward the end involving a young boy in the hospital and one of his "mothers" (one of the sister-wives). It was just weird and yuck. So... yeah. All of that made it so I won't really recommend the book to anyone, which is really too bad. It could have been so much better without all of that unnecessary stuff.
This book had the sexual focus as I just mentioned. There was also swearing, including the F-word once or twice, if I'm remembering correctly.
No comments:
Post a Comment