Wednesday, September 27, 2023

The Scenic Route (Christina Baker Kline)

Why I have this book: It was one of the Amazon First Reads in the last couple of months. I actually paid for this one ($1.99) because I got another one for free, but then they made it a Prime Reading option, and they refunded me the purchase price. That was nice of Amazon. I would have never known that it was a Prime Reading option if they didn't tell me.

Anyway, I wasn't sure how many stars to give this. Other reviewers gave it 4+ stars (the overall rating both Amazon and Goodreads show), but I'm not sure why. It's a short story, and while the writing was good, there just wasn't enough story to sink my teeth into. I think it would have made a compelling full-size novel, though. 

I ended up giving it three stars.

Mostly clean. There is one F-word that I remember. An affair has occurred in the past. Alcoholism is part of the story, and having been molested as a child is briefly mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment