Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Mary Jane (Jessica Anya Blau)

Why I have this book: It was recommended on so many places online, so I finally borrowed it from Amazon Prime.

I gave this three stars on Goodreads. I would have easily given it four stars, but I felt like I had to drop it down a star due to the waaaaaaaaay extreme focus of penises in one section of the book, especially when "we" (the protagonist and the readers) stumble on a couple having sex on the beach, and again... the penis. I don't really want to explain... it's not what it sounds like, probably. It's difficult to explain.

Anyway, I thought the overall message was positive and good, so I'm glad I read it. I can only recommend it to one friend, though, because of the sexual undertones and "earthly" environment of the setting.

Lots and lots of F-bombs, definite sexual undertones, and lots of fixation on penises (especially in one section of the book... but it's not in a sexual way. There's not sex happening, until one scene where the protagonist stumbles on someone having sex...) Anyway, it sounds really bad, and it probably would be for a lot of people. To be honest, I almost stopped reading it at that part, but I kept going and then it all cleaned up.

No comments:

Post a Comment